So last night I whipped up this recipe for mushroom stroganoff cause I had to make some thing with the mushrooms before they went bad. Isn't that how all good things start? So after consulting several sources and my BFF Larissa, a widely known lover/maker of mushroom stroganoff, I create this vegan recipe.
Before an amazing trip to go see an outdoor screening of Slacker and talk with Richard Linklater (yeah, I'm bragging a bit! but it was pretty much the most Austin thing we could do) I put this meal in front of Regina and we sat down to have our first bite, after she said to quote " Wow this is like better then Three Bros! I mean it!". For those of you who don't get the reference Three Brothers is a famed Long Island Italian all vegan restaurant, which is pretty much the best complement I have ever received! And then we proceeded to stuff our faces. This is totally a "Hey Mom I can't believe it's not butter" recipe and you can feed it to your non-vegan friends and they will never know!! Leave me a comment if you make it and tell me how it turned out at your house!
Serves: 4 Prep: 10 min. Cook Time: 20 min.
- One package of Whole Wheat Linguine Broken up in to 2/3 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups Tofutti Sour Cream (or any recipe for vegan sour cream)
- 1 1/2 cups Veggie Broth/Stock (I dissolved one Rapunzel Brand Vegan Bouillon with sea salt cube with 1 1/2 cups simmering water in separate pot and then turned the heat off and set it aside)
- 3 heaping Table Spoons of Flour
- 3 Tablespoons Earth Balance, Olive Oil, or Smart Balance Light (yes it's vegan!)
- About 10 White Button Mushrooms Sliced (Baby Bella or Portobella would be a fine substitute)
- 1 Yellow Onion roughly chopped
- 1 Large clove of Garlic minced
- About 2 Tablespoons Hungarian Paprika
- 1 Tablespoon dried Parsley, plus more for garnish ( you can also use fresh parsley if you have it)
- 1 Tablespoon Sriracha Chili Sauce (you can also sub it for ketchup or tomato paste)
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- A couple twists of the black pepper mill
In a heavy bottom skillet, I use my cast iron skillet, add all of the earth balance and heat over medium high heat, add onions and 1 of the tablespoons of paprika. Cook until onions are soft about 3 mins, then add mushrooms, saute until mushrooms and onions are fully cooked then transfer to a bowl or dish and set aside.
While you are sauteing the mushrooms and onions, cook the whole wheat linguine that you broke up in to pieces according to the package directions.
Reduce the heat of the skilled to medium and add Tofutti sour cream and veggie broth and whisk together. Add minced garlic and continue whisking adding one tablespoon of flour at a time,the sauce will begin to thicken up. Once sauce is thickened whisk in worcestershire sauce, sriracha, parsley, paprika, and black pepper. Stir back in the cooked mushrooms and onions you set aside in to the sauce and heat through. Serve over noodles and garnish with parsley! Enjoy! Xox, Lka